Home Security Myths: The Truth About Locks
There are plenty of home security myths out there and just about everyone has given into and even repeated one of these myths themselves. These myths will feed your preconceived notions about what you can and cannot do to protect your home and your business premises. Now, it is time to dispel the conflicting, wrong information and discuss what is true and what is not.
Home Security and Lock Myths Dispelled
- A “Master” Key Opens All Locks - Not all master keys are exactly the same and just because a key is labeled “master”, it does not mean that it will open any lock. Locks must be prepared and then keyed for a single master key, and that key is then assigned to a group of locks.
- Registered High Security Keys Cannot be Duplicated - This is true. Registered high-security keys can only be reordered by authorized individuals and additional keys often require a signature during reordering.
- Burglars Strike at Night - This is one of the common security myths in circulation. You may lock up your home or office at night because you assume it is at risk, but in reality, thieves often strike during the day, taking advantage of the fact you are not home or too busy at work to notice. For businesses, employee theft often occurs during the day, while the employee is on shift.
- There is No Such Thing as a Pick-Resistant Lock - This is untrue. High-security locks are pick-resistant and offer superior protection, but do come at a slightly higher investment.
- Locks Do Not Need Maintenance - Any lock that has been in place for years and used daily will need proper maintenance. This is because over time they can lose lubrication, fill with dust and metal shavings, and even suffer from temperature damage.
- Locksmith Services are Too Expensive - Locksmiths are more affordable than you may realize. A professional locksmith will offer correct hardware for the application, security expertise and effective installation, thus ensuring maximum security for your home or office.
Speak with a Qualified Markham Locksmith to be better informed
If you have avoided replacing your locks or beefing up security simply because of the myths floating around, now is the time to contact a professional and see what is really involved with good security. The locksmiths at Affordable Lock Services Inc. offer installation, repair, maintenance and even key-cutting services for residential and commercial locks.
Affordable Lock is a locksmith in Markham serving the Greater Toronto Area, including Scarborough, Aurora, North York, Newmarket, Richmond Hill, Vaughan and Stouffville. With over 30 years of experience, we pride ourselves on looking after your commercial or residential locksmith needs. Affordable Lock’s showroom in Markham showcases a wide selection of keys, locks and an assortment of other security products for your home or business. Whether you are looking to upgrade your home or business’s security, or solve security issues, Affordable Lock Services Inc. in Markham is here for you! Give us a call today.