Ask a Locksmith in Richmond Hill: Is It Safe to Lock Your Doors Using a Smartphone?
Technology has the ability to make life easier for people, but the latest advances don’t always provide the best solutions to existing problems. Keep reading to learn more about smart lock technology and how effective it is at keeping your home or business secure.
How Smart Lock Technology WorksSmart lock technology connects a locking device to an application installed on your smartphone. The app makes it possible to engage or disengage the locking mechanism remotely. Most models of smart lock also use traditional keys in case of a power outage.
Advantages of Smart Lock Technology
There are a number of benefits to using a smart lock for your home or business. They provide:
- Remote operation
- Live updates on lock status
- A record of activity
- Alerts for suspicious activity
- Integration with other “smart home” components
- Convenience and ease of use
However, smart locks also come with a number of cons. These include:
- Requiring a smartphone for operation
- An inability to be modified or improved by the user
- Door not re-securing remotely due to alignment issues
- Vulnerability to hacking
- Vulnerability to cyber attacks
- A possibility that if hacked, the entire security system may be compromised
It’s important to note that the level of security you can achieve with a smart lock largely depends on the quality of the lock and installation. Talk to a certified locksmith in Richmond Hill today to learn more.
Keep Your Home Safe
When it comes to your home’s security, you’re better off investing in a high-quality traditional lock than a low-quality smart lock. There may be risks involved with lower-quality models. If you really want to install a smart lock, make sure you opt for a good system and professional installation.
Keep Your Business Safe
Fortunately, the same cutting-edge technology that has made the smart home possible can also be used for your business. A fully-integrated smart system can allow you to do the following:
- Pre-schedule access for employees
- Grant one-time access for one-time visitors like delivery personnel or guests
- Set pre-determined zones of access throughout the building
- Manage multiple buildings
- See a visual report of all comings and goings within the building
- Use a web-based smart-lock platform for remote management
Smart lock technology can be a great addition to your existing security system. If you’re looking for a respected, reliable locksmith in Richmond Hill, visit Affordable Lock Services Inc. Fully bonded and insured with over 30 years of experience in the industry, we have the expertise you need to keep your home or business safe. Contact us today to learn more about our products and services or to schedule an appointment.